Monday 27 March 2017

Mother's Day 2017


Image result for plant in winter (non-copyrighted)
Yesterday was Mother's Day. And it sucked, for me. Big time!

For many reasons.

My mother is late. Has been for five years now. My beautiful mum....

And then on top of all that, I was still ill. After almost two weeks of running unending tests and taking endless meds and injections and being indoors without working! Because I was practically forced into sick leave!! Which was the reasonable thing to do by the way. Now you know, I can be a workaholic.

But I digress.

I woke up sicker than normal. And presented myself to the emergency. Again. Went through the rigorous process of getting the appropriate unit to see me. Yes it's difficult for us doctors too! Then had to decline admission, again, for fear of getting a nosocomial infection in a public hospital and worsening my woes. Then made the "mistake" of suggesting to the Senior Registrar on call that intravenous meds would be better for me at this point instead of the oral ones he'd prescribed. That earned me a walk out, by the way. He walked out on me without saying a thing. Smh

So the strenuous waka for investigations began. Got a medical officer friend to take my blood, went from lab to lab till I could get one to do most of the tests I had been "ordered" to do. Five hours passed before I was back in my room to rest and eat for just three hours before retrieving some of the test results and getting my sick leave extended. Again. Because they confirmed I was still...sick...and needed even more treatment.

Got to my room, had dinner with the numerous amount of meds I had to swallow, ew. Had a feverish   sleep, woke up by 11pm and began to think. Very sad thoughts actually. Majorly about missing my mum, and realizing again as I have over all these years that a good mother is all the parent you ever need! And mine was the greatest of them all, in every way. And I beat myself up mentally for all the times my younger, no less stubborn self would have unnecessary quarrels with her because I felt she was "hindering" me, whatever that means. And I asked for her forgiveness over and over again...

...till I fell asleep an hour later, and she was there! In my dreams. With my sisters. And we sang songs together and laughed. We used to "fool" around like that, when she was still...here. Then she told us it was time for us to leave. I complained, as usual(rolling my eyes at myself) and when my sisters had left she said to me...

..."Uchennagaemeriri! The sky is only the beginning for you. And you only make me prouder! Quit worrying and continue achieving." She hugged me and I took in the scent of her. Sweet smelling mum, we used to call her. Whether she took a bath or not. She was just fresh like that. Then she flashed that dazzling smile of hers, and I woke up with tears running down my face...

I can't  have you here with me in this life mum, till we meet again in the life thereafter. But I can do this. I can take my meds and get well fast, and resume work, and get married to the wonderful guy I know you would have loved too, and have kids, and raise them with all the wonderful things you left in me. And of course get to the pinnacle of my career, lol. You never wanted any less.

I'll keep making you proud mum! Happy (belated) Mother's Day to you and all the other great mums up there! You are loved, and cherished, and greatly missed.

And we "motherless" kids LOVE you. Eternally.






Da'alu!



waka = 'walking/walked/walk' in Nigeria's Pidgin language.

8 comments:

  1. this was a long one, but its your story and its about your mum and it could be as long as you want, but it touched a part of me... please take your meds and i hope you get one or two injections too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smh! How you can be so kind and so mean at the same time baffles me! Lol. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. MOTHER! no other word carries so much meaning. Great read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about your mom. She's resting. The age old walkout. Pele. Get well soon. Fast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you're taking mums advice to quit worrying :) No love like a mothers' love. I miss mine everyday too. I remember when she would call me at work and I'd be too busy to reply. If I could get just one of those calls back...

    ReplyDelete